Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Review - Propellerhead ReCycle

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

The reason I picked up ReCycle was because I had heard it made chopping samples easier. One of my production buddies used it with Reason to cut up guitar riffs and drum loops he recorded. I decided since I was dabbling with Reason myself I would give it a try as well.

The install went very fast and it is a pretty straight forward program. I liked the layout, and I liked being able to see the wave form. It was a little difficult to see at first so I was pleasantly surprised to see you were able to change the color configuration in order to view the waves easier. I loaded up a drum loop and started messing around.

I first started with the "Sens" slider. It was very accurate in finding the slice points I needed. I think it being just drums made it easier, but that's not the point. Once you see the slice you like and hear it you can select the "Lock" tool to lock the slice into place. Once they are all in the right spot you can take the "Sens" slider all the way down and just your selected slices remain, quite easy.

After that you can have it recognize the amount of loops and add other effects such as EQ, compression and a stretcher option that makes the slices seem more natural and not so abrupt. You can then export it as a .rex file(for Reason), or as single wav file slices that can be used in any hardware or software that uses wav files. I made the .rex and closed the program and messed with the loop in Reason for awhile.

When i was shopping around I saw a few different prices for it from $199.99 all the way as low as $99.99 at some sites, so make sure you shop around.

I didn't make a song with the loop I chopped up because I did not make anything worth showing anyone, but I still use it today to slice drum loops and samples up to import into Reason and even Fruity Loops as well as on my MPC.

Breakdown-

Interface : 7/10
Sound: 8/10
Ease of Use: 9/10
Value: 6/10

Overall: 7.5/10

Check out ReCycle at http://www.propellerheads.se/products/recycle/

Happy Music Making!!

-Cheebs

No comments: